Iran begins avenging Soleimani’s death by launching 15 missiles at US military bases
This appeared in The Millennial Source
According to Pentagon officials, Iran has launched 15 ballistic missiles at two Iraqi military bases that house US troops in the early hours on January 8. The attack came as Iran buried the body of top Iranian general — Qasem Soleimani.
10 rockets hit Al Asad Air Base in western Iraq where the US forces are based — about 124 miles west of Baghdad.
One missile struck a base in Erbil — a city in Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region. Erbil airport has cancelled all flights following the attack.
The other four missiles failed to hit targets.
The number of casualties among the US troops has yet to be disclosed.
Iran’s promise of avenge
Commander of the IRGC Major General Hossein Salami vowed “ tough and finishing” revenge for Soleimani.
Following the general’s death, Iran’s president, Hassan Rouhani, visited and spoke with the late general’s family. The president promised to “avenge his [Soleimani] blood.”
Soleimani was the IRGC Quds Force Commander before being assassinated in a US drone strike.
General Salami addressed the thousands of mourners in the Southeastern city of Kerman on January 7, who gathered for the funeral ceremony of the late general.
“Today, the seeds of hatred for the US have been sown in the hearts of Muslims and no safe point have been left for them (Americans),” he said.
“All is well” in the US
Following reports of the attacks, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said President Donald Trump “has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.”
“All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” Trump tweeted.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Trump previously defended his actions for ordering the killing of Soleimani, claiming that the general’s assassination was carried out to stop a war, not to start a war.
Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi however said that America and the world cannot ‘afford war’.
“We must ensure the safety of our service members, including ending needless provocations from the Administration and demanding that Iran cease its violence. America & world cannot afford war,” she said.
Closely monitoring the situation following bombings targeting U.S. troops in Iraq. We must ensure the safety of our servicemembers, including ending needless provocations from the Administration and demanding that Iran cease its violence. America & world cannot afford war.
- Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 8, 2020
According to CNN, top national security officials, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper, have departed the White House and will not be responding to the attack tonight.
Originally published at https://themilsource.com on January 8, 2020.